Istanbul is the only city in the world that has two different continents, it is huge. You will fall in love with it the moment you step out of the airport, which in my case was Istanbul Atatürk Airport.
There are thousands of hotels and other tourist-oriented industries in the city, catering to both vacationers and visiting professionals. The city is alive day & night so you can expect heavy traffic and a busy airport.
If this is your first visit then you will need to know where to go and have a plan already, i stayed at the Alkoclar Keban 4 stars hotel, it’s exactly a min away from the main Taksim Square and nearby almost everything you might need from Metros to other attractions.
The hotel was a great start for my vacation from staff to cleanliness and location, totally recommended!
I’ll list down some of the activities/attractions you should not miss in your visit to this fascinating city.
- Taksim square, Isteqlal Avenue (only a minute from the hotel, packed with restaurants, cafes, stores, nightclubs and busy on weekends).
- Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia & Topkapi palace (near Sultanahmet area, entry fee is 30TL about 15 US Dollars, book your ticket online or at the hotel to avoid staying in line for hours).
- Eminönü District (Eminönü has many historical mosques and buildings such as the mentioned above plus Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar and The new mosque).
- Bosphorus Ferry Cruise Tour (probably the most overlooked Istanbul tourist attraction).
- Istanbul’s Street Food (Kestane, Corn, Oysters, Kumpir Potato, Simit, Shawerma & surely the Turkish sweets almost in every shop).
- Istanbul’s Night Life (Isteqlal Avenue is filled with your average nightclubs such as Lupe, Olympics, Indigo which i did not really enjoy other than that you will find 360, Riddim & Reina to be just great).
That was a quick guide that i thought might help some of you to explore the city, there is way more than that in Istanbul, trust me this city will leave you speechless!